Friday, May 14, 2010

Making Jelly is HARD!



For the 3rd straight year I have tyred to make Mayhaw Jelly. Before I moved to Louisiana I had never even tried to make jelly or jam, so I was learning from scratch. The previous 2 year I have had trouble with it jelling. Then this year birds came and ate my first batch of berries. So I ended up collecting a small second batch from my trees, berries from my neighbors trees, and some from some family members trees. So I'm thinking I will have plenty to make several batches....WRONG! One of the bunches of berries got kind of squished and somehow roted. Then the rest boiled up only enough to make juice for one batch. Then when I went to squish the berries to get out a little more juice I got some Mayhaw pulp in the juice. The juice was only enough to make 2 big jars and 4 little ones, then in the sealing process one little jar broke! Talk about frustrating! Since I only had a few jars for Mayhaw I also went ahead and made some mint jelly; I have a ton of mint in my yard right now. I don't know how the mint will taste since I have never made it before. Maybe I need to retire from jelly and stick to jams!

No comments:

Post a Comment